Sunday, July 25, 2010

Steer skull

Mid July 2010

Time to carve: 3.5 hours
Finishing: 2 hours

Started this one at summer camp too...but just barely. Carved from maple it is one of the more unusual slides
I've made. I had trouble visualizing this but as I carved I seemed to find my way. (The closest I have been to a long horn steer skull is the on the screen at the movies.) The eye and horn sockets had to be shaped at a different angle than I am use to seeing. But I digress...the slide was painted with craft paints and when dry, given a black wash to bring out the cracks in the skull. The horns were made from some scrap plastic trim I had laying around.They were rounded and heated to form the bends, and then glued into place. A couple of coats of poly finish it off.

Thursday, July 22, 2010


Mid July 2010

Time to carve: 3.5 hours

Finishing: 1.5 hour

Well it's during the third camp of the month, (and the only one I'm staying at) I'm carving the Monkey slide. Now the thing that is really funny is while I packed my carving stuff, I forgot to bring any finished slides for a neckerchief. So I've got two choices, go without a neckerchief during flag ceremony or wear an unfinished slide. I went with the unfinished slide but what was really interesting was the response of scouts from other troops as they watched the slide develop. By week's end, I kept getting asked "Is that the same slide?", and "How did you make that?". But probably the most surprising to most (especially those taking First Aid MB) no cuts and no blood was shed making this slide. Painted using craft paints and sealed using a couple of coats of poly, the final step was gluing on the eyebrows and ear fuzz. While it doesn't show up well in the photo, they both are made from some feather fuzz and super glued to the slide.


Early July 2010

Time to carve: 2 hours

Finishing: 1 hour

July is a busy month, so much going on between Scout camps and other camps. I started this slide while waiting for the closing ceremony of NYLT at Rotary Scout Camp. Made from maple, it didn't take long to flesh this one out as I waited for my scouts to arrive in there patrols. A bit of sanding and I was ready for a key. Oddly enough, I had a key

that came as swag with a old text based computer game. (Yeah, I've been around computers for a long time.) I made the keyhole slot and fitted the key. Painting the lock with some chrome spray paint, it took a couple of coats with light sanding in between to give it a smooth brilliance. When dry, I glued the key in place. Wearing the slide is easy because the neckerchief is brought through the hasp.