Sunday, March 19, 2017

Milkweed Butterfly

Sometime between 2012 and 2015

Time to carve: .5 hours
Finishing: 2 hour

It's interesting to me that this slide is called the Milkweed Butterfly and not the Monarch. Was this because the larva eat milkweed? Anyway the body was carved from a piece of scrap wood and painted with craft paint. The antenna were made from a couple of bristles from a paint brush which was super glued into some holes drilled into the head. I sealed the body with a couple of coats of poly. The wings were an image I found on the internet and printed on a color laser printer. I cut out the sections of the wings and glued them to some black foam board. Once the wings shapes were cut out, I glued the top segment to the bottom segment then glued the wings to the body. A wooden loop glued to the back finishes up the slide.

When researching the milkweed name for this butterfly, I stumbled across this article

No comments:

Post a Comment